Friday, March 2, 2012

For Lent I've given up...

...well, it was going to be alcohol. Even though I'm a protestant rather than catholic, I like the idea of giving up one's vices in order to devote more time to working on a relationship with your creator and becoming the person that you were created to be.

So I gave up alcohol. I've never been a lush, but I do drink socially and last year it proved to be more difficult than I would have liked. So I figured that I would do it again.



According to Wikipedia (a truly credible source, I know) "The traditional purpose of Lent is the penitential preparation of the believer—through prayer, penance, repentance, almsgiving, and self-denial."

This goes to remind us of the 40 days that Jesus spent in the wilderness fasting, praying, and enduring temptation from Satan.

Giving up alcohol for me missed the mark. I was doing it more as a challenge to myself than for its true purpose. I've always enjoyed seeing if I'm capable of doing things, even if I am disappointed in the conclusion.

After recognizing my own agenda behind giving up alcohol, I've revoked the dry spell. I never want to say that I'm doing something for one reason but really doing it for another. To say, "look at what a good little Christian I am by giving up booze for God", I was in denial.

If I choose to give something up or set forth a challenge, I want to do so with very clear reasons and never say I'm going to do something for God when I'm completely focused on myself.

Still learning,

~K

No comments:

Post a Comment