Thursday, September 9, 2010

Labor Day in Paradise

A few weeks ago, my best friend and I decided that the distance between us was just too much. There was, of course, only one thing to be done.

I needed to fly out to Honolulu for Labor Day weekend.



This was not my first time to Hawaii; I did have a nice little visit for Meng's wedding last October. Now I was going back to see Meng in her new neighborhood. Definitely a step up from Spokane, but I miss the convenience of being able to drive a few hours to see her. Now I have to plan, pay over $500 for a ticket, and stay in a hotel. Oh well, it was worth it.

We didn't really do much touristy stuff (like visit 'Iolani Palace or take a kayaking tour), but we had a lot of fun doing other things.

Ala Moana Shopping Center offered a real shopping adventure as the largest open-air mall in the world. While there, I had one of the best food court lunches I have ever experienced. Meng and I found the Aldo shop where they put all of their sale items, and we bought matching "friendship purses."

Waikiki beach is beautiful and so warm. I could have laid there forever if my skin hadn't begun reddening. Sigh. The shops along the main strip in Waikiki are cute, with ABC stores popping up every few feet. Down a side street was a duty-free shop where Meng and I purchased new lipsticks.

Saturday night we went dancing at Zanzabar in the Waikiki Trade Center. No sign of cute boys, and one ugly had the audacity to tell me "You're beautiful, but your outfit's ugly!" To this I simply replied "At least my face isn't ugly like yours!"

Sunday night we walked around trying to decide where to eat. It turned out that the Ruth's Chris location in Waikiki doesn't have the late night prime hour, so we ended up at Senor Frog's. Oh my word! This place was amazing. The food was really good, our drinks were fabulous (except for some random tequila a waiter gave us), and we were immediately pulled up to the stage to dance in a conga line. After we finished our meal, we walked around a bit, played around in their foam party, and watched some Capoeira up on stage in honor of Brazilian Independence Day. 


All in all, this was definitely the best Labor Day weekend I've ever had. 


Aloha!


~K

No comments:

Post a Comment